(I do not own this poem; I am merely publishing it here to share with whoever who is reading my blog)
Long Distance IIThough my mother was already two years deadDad kept her slippers warming by the gas,put hot water bottles her side of the bedand still went to renew her transport pass.You couldn't just drop in. You had to phone.He'd put you off an hour to give him timeto clear away her things and look aloneas though his still raw love were such a crime.He couldn't risk my blight of disbeliefthough sure that very soon he'd hear her keyscrape in the rusted lock and end his grief.He knew she'd just popped out to get the tea.I believe life ends with death, and that is all.You haven't both gone shopping; just the same,in my new black leather phone book there's your nameand the disconnected number I still call.Submitted by Scott DagostinoTony HarrisonQuote (by a reviewer from the web):"This is a particularly moving account of the way in which his father cannot come to terms with his mother’s death, and how, in turn, he cannot come to terms with his father’s death..."
Wow, he's damn right. This is a really moving poem which I've read quite some time ago, especially during the second stanza where the author says "his father has to clear away her things and look alone". It aches my heart to read that, it's because that's truly pitiful and sad. It's even more disheartening during the last stanza where the author mentions that he still keeps his parent's phone numbers, and even still tries to call them.
The poem is so beautiful, yet tragic and sad.
I hope that the author will be able move on with his life and leads himself to a better life. Cheers, and good luck, Tony Harrison.
Labels: About Life, Review, Thoughts